Monday, March 10, 2008

All or Nothing for Obama?


Under an hour ago, MSNBC posted this news item about Barack Obama declaring during a speech in Mississippi that it should not be assumed that he will accept the vice presidential slot on Hillary Clinton's ticket. CBS offers a meatier version, as well.


In an apparent jab at Clinton's recent hinting that she would welcome the partnership, Obama went as far as quipping, "I don't know how somebody in second place is offering the vice presidency to the person who is in first place." He aimed to make it clear that people had to choose between the two of them because they weren't going to be handed both. He also made another pointed remark about how he finds it interesting that Hillary doesn't believe him to be ready for the presidency, but would gladly make him her second-in-command.


Now, this is something that has always bothered me about politics. Must the candidates sneer and jeer like this? Can't they find it in themselves to be above all of the name calling and finger pointing for once? And would a partnership between two candidates whose nomination would be making leaps and bounds for their respective race and gender really be so awful?


I realize that Obama feels his opponent is attempting to manipulate the undecided, but I don't think his approach is altogether smart. I, for one, find myself split between the two of them and I think that his reaction actually plays more into her hand than anything.


His response rubbed me the wrong way, but I can't really put my finger on exactly why. I think there was just something about the arrogance of his joking that made it unappealing to me. Everyone wants their candidate to be self-assured, but there's a fine line between that and just plain cocky.


Barack, you may be in the lead, as you flaunted in your speech, but remember that you should never count your chickens before they've hatched.

No comments: