Monday, March 17, 2008

T Trouble on St. Patty's Day..I can relate

I'm going to link over to 9 Neighbors and the Ms Maggie Moo Talks 2 U blog for this little piece inspired by "Maggie's" complaints about attempting to travel on the T on St. Patrick's Day. For all those not quite familiar with the Boston lingo, the T is what others just refer to as the subway, short for MBTA. It is relatively simple to navigate(at least compared to my trips to NYC) and definitely an inexpensive travel option for getting around the city.

HOWEVER, riding the T on St. Patrick's Day is quite an experience. I'd like to quote "Maggie" with the following brief anecdote:

"After dinner and the yummiest margaritas, I made my way back. My travels on the red line was OK and normal-but when I got to my green line, craziness ensued.Why? Because all of the students from the 2 colleges I live between were coming back from the airport. They were sports teams and had TONS of bags. In addition,people were still coming back from the pubs and they were extremely smelly and extremely drunk. Normally, this would be funny, but when you are wedged between a large man in a mustard colored leather jacket and a small old Asian woman who's breath smells like dog poop, it just makes you angry."

She then goes on to basically apologize for the pointless rant, but I would like to take this opportunity to wholly agree with her thoughts and offer up my own St. Patrick's Day story. Last year, while also travelling on the green line on the night before the infamous Irish holiday, the T was so jam packed with people that you were literally touching about 20 random strangers at once and bumping into all of them every time the train lurched. Oh, and everybody was also drunk and attempting to lead sing-alongs at the top of their lungs. Oh, and one of my friends was offered a shot by the people next to her. Another got her butt grabbed by the man behind her who kept inconspicuously NOT avoiding the bumping. So, don't feel too bad, "Maggie." We've all been there, it's just part of the charm.

Take a look at 9 Neighbors if you are living in the Boston area. I really enjoyed checking it out because the postings were both entertaining and very easy to relate to. Everyone enjoys when you know exactly what someone's talking about. I found it to be accessible to a wide variety of people and their personal interests, showcasing blogs about all types of items and news. If you are getting weary of Boston.com, it's a fun substitute.


1 comment:

Maggie Moo said...

Hey, thanks Chelsey! Being a newbie here, it's good to hear that I am not the only one who's experienced the craziness called The Green Line.

:) Thanks for linking me!