Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Family Buries Wrong Son

Here's a story I picked up as a video on CNN and followed over to Fox for more coverage:

After a shooting on February 15th in St. Louis, Frederick McWherter stepped up to identify the victim as his missing son. However, after the man was already buried and funeral processions over, it was revealed to the family that their son was not only alive, but in a rehabilitation center in the city.

The victim turned out to be Kenny Stainback, whose upset family has had his body exhumed and plans to have another burial soon.

My sympathies go out to Stainback's family, who I'm sure has been put through much grief during this process, having to pull their son from an improper grave. I can't figure out how something like this can happen. I realize that McWherter had given a positive identification to the body, but I feel like there should be something else than simply one man's word in such an incident. Although, I must admit that everything about the incident plays like a true accident and very regrettable mistake for those involved. Maybe this situation will change some rules as far as the family identification of deceased bodies.

No comments: