Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Instant Cameras Not Quick Enough


Usually I visit Perez Hilton to get all the latest celeb gossip, but while browsing today I found something slightly more groundbreaking than Britney shopping for jeans with her mom. Sadly(at least in my opinion), Polaroid is discontinuing its instant camera! The NY Times also went a little more in-depth with the story in its blog, The Lede.

Sure, instant film has become outdated...that's undeniable, I guess. I can't help but feel, though, that there is room left in the market for such a beloved classic as the Polaroid instant camera. I have to admit, I own a digital camera and use it often so I'm aware of the appeal they have over their predecessors. Still, there's just something about those instant photos, something great about snapping a picture and flapping it in the air for a minute as you wait excitedly for it to development. There's still some magic left in being able to take a picture and not knowing what it's going to look like right away, not automatically having one of your friends veto it and push the delete button because one of their eyes is closed and it looks like they have two chins and "oh my God that cannot go on Facebook".

It's sad to see such familiar objects already becoming obsolete. I know Polaroid cameras weren't exactly the big thing for my generation, they'd already been around for a while, but they still don't seem as if their time has run up already. Oh well. Polaroid instant camera, you will be missed.

No comments: