Thursday, April 3, 2008

News Trust



Our in-class project this week with News Trust's Rory O'Connor was a group evaluation of this poorly sourced, disorganized article about the rice and wheat crisis being suffered in Asia and the Middle East. Browsing the site, though, I found a featured video today that represents the information much better and was rated 4 out of 5 stars on the site. This video, I believe, is much better than the article we analyzed in class because it presents the issue from the angle of different countries and different news networks. I also found it much easier to follow along with because the facts are presented in a much more clear format with a nicer style, rather than an article that read like a spread sheet.

As for the story itself, it's kind of embarrassing for me to realize how isolated I am in the life I live here in the United States. I didn't even know of this situation until it was presented to us during the seminar and while I hope that I would've soon learned of it through another venue anyway, I can't be entirely positive. I feel like it's so easy in America to ignore the plights of other nations that are so apart from our lives that we can't even imagine what it would be like to suffer them..far too easy.

No comments: