Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Sex Ed on the Web?

Today on Boston.com, there is a story by AP writer, Emily Fredrix, about a 28-year-old woman whose former promiscuity and teen pregnancy in her younger years has inspired her to create and host a podcast that delivers hip and entertaining sex advice and education for teenagers. Now, I don't want my opinion on this to be misconstrued, so let me start off with something of a disclaimer:

I think this woman, Nikol Hasler, is very benevolent in her intentions to educate teenagers about sensitive topics that for whatever reason they are lacking in knowledge of. Her idea is innovative and thoughtful.

However, and here comes the reason for the above preface, I can't help but question why such a podcast has become as popular with teens and parents as the article declares. I know that there are some issues concerning sex that make teens squirm at the mere thought of mentioning to their parents. Is there such a disconnect, though, and such a love and trust in the internet that teens need to watch a podcast to get their questions answered? I understand that Hasler's videos are probably light and easily accessible, but it is unsettling to me that there are so many young adults out there who have no one else to turn to but a face on their computer screen. Maybe my own communication with my parents is more open than that of most, but I can't help but find this a little unusual. I'm sure that Hasler isn't giving any advice that could be harmful to the teens that are tuning in, but if she has a rapt young audience and the opportunity to say whatever she wants there is always a risk of misinterpretation or manipulation. I know that if I were a parent, I would much rather risk a possibly uncomfortable conversation with my child than leave them to be influenced by whatever they are told on the internet.

Are health and sexual education classes so poor and parent-child communication so strained that podcasts like this are not only necessary, but extremely popular? Kudos to Hasler for recognizing an untapped audience that she can aid, but shame on our technological society for making a good old fashioned talk with mom and dad seem outdated and tired.

No comments: