Monday, January 28, 2008

Fox's Worst "Moment"?

Fox asks us if we're smarter than a fifth grader. Fox asks us who should be the next American Idol. And now the network is clearly asking for it, airing a new "gameshow" in which contestants are hooked up to a lie detector test and asked embarassing questions in front of friends and family. Prize money is attached to each honest answer and "loss" in every sense of the word for a lie.

I know I can't be the only one outraged by the airing of this show. I mean, is this the kind of thing viewers have to expect in the wake of the writers strike? Fox has gotten dirty in the past, luring us in with the seductive Temptation Island, in which couples tested their relationship by being brought to paradise, separated, and then presented with videos of their significant other romping around with one of various attractive suitors who'd been brought in to play homewrecker. I watched it then, and I have to admit it was compelling in a voyeuristic kind of way, as much reality-type television is these days, but I'm not sure I can stomach this show, even for the pure sake of curiosity.

I can't help but wonder, don't the contestants of this show realize that they are entering into a lose-lose situation? Let's put ourselves in their place for a second. You are a contestant on the show and are asked an extremely mortifying question whose answer could have life-altering consequences. You know, like the people in the previews who are asked if they'd give a kidney to a dying loved one. Well, obviously, if your answer to a question is hurtful, you are completely trapped. You could tell the truth and win money at the expense of your relationship with the friends and family in the audience or tuning in, or you could lie and be caught in that lie, losing the game and your winnings, also at the expense of your nearest and dearest. Hmm, sounds fun.

I'm going to attempt to do my part and not let my curiosity get the best out of me in this case because I don't think this show deserves any type of acknowledgement for its viewership and ratings. It is not only insulting to its own contestants, but to all of America in its suggestion that we will flock to the humiliation of others for the sake of entertainment.

Fox, I know you sometimes like to live on the edge of what is morally comprehensible, but I don't think you're this desperate. Save some dignity and pull this show.

Here's the preview clip for anyone who hasn't seen the commercials:



2 comments:

JRTR said...

I agree with your outrage to the show, but the previews are only half of it. Actually, the only thing you need to watch is the preview, because the show is so boring and drawn out, it negates the potential controversy that the previews imply. (I got forced into an episode after American Idol last week, and it will be the only episode I will ever watch). I don't understand who would enjoy watching something so mundane and cruel.

Dan Kennedy said...

It gets worse ... the Fox affiliate in Boston, Channel 25, made its reporters take a lie detector test to promo the show. We talked about it on "Greater Boston" last week, and you can see the clip here.

Posts like these can be improved by working other material into them. Yes, by all means, give us your opinion, but offer some other material, too. If you search Google News for "Fox 'lie detector'", for instance, you'll get a lot of hits, some of which you may find useful.